Ramblings Of a Steampunk Writer

A blog about writing... occasionally mine. But, mostly just writing.

Writing Rut

Thursday, January 3, 2013

We've all been there. Times in our lives as writers when we're just like, "I'm not feeling it." Conquering it is the real pain. Getting back into that thing you call your passion... it should be easy, right? You just sit down and start typing. For me? Not so much; even if it is the advice I drum out to people on a regular basis who are having just that problem.

Watching TV barely helps, even if it's something that has to do with what you're writing. Movies are much the same. Going out really only stalls it most of the time; at least for me. Reading something can help, but it's not always beneficial. Honestly, I find that nothing really helps. On occasion, working out the chapters on paper, like outlines, that helps. At the end though, what if you're on your last chapter for a book or a story? You've got it all done, you know how it's supposed to go, but you just can't seem to get it done. And you're afraid that if you do... it's just gonna be crap.

The only thing that really helps is just writing it, to be truthful. Sometimes it's crap, but sometimes it's brilliant. Sometimes it's just your mood. I think for me, lately, it's just my mood. It's the location. Not being in my own house doesn't help at all. I'm one of those people that has a spot that works for me. It's my zen spot. And when I'm there, with all my things, it works out. It's easier. I have a hard time imagining people who go to Starbucks, or coffee shops, or bookstores--libraries even--and write with no problem at all. Sometimes I can do it, but very rarely. The spot is all wrong.

Today I got a little done. But mostly it's the scene. It's not transpiring in my paper like it does in my head. And I've been putting off writing the bloody thing for over a month. Which, really, isn't good for my readers. But, perhaps saying it here will help me get it all in gear. It has to get done by the end of the week, right?

Here's hoping.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Some Contents

Categories